Monday, October 5, 2009

Beef Enchiladas

It took me a long time to bring myself to try making enchiladas with a red sauce. I had never had it growing up because it was just not something my mom made. I had tried it at a few different restaurants, but it wasn't my favorite. Then, I found a restaurant that had a delicious enchilada sauce that was pretty authentic. I was surprised at how much I liked it. So, I started a search to find a great red enchilada sauce recipe. I found one, that with a few additions and tweaks, is really good.


Red Enchilada Sauce
½ cup vegetable oil
4 tablespoons self-rising flour
½ cup minus one tablespoon New Mexico or California chili powder
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
3 cups water
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon onion salt
salt to taste
2 oz. dark chocolate
Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in flour and chili powder, reduce heat to medium, and cook until lightly brown, stirring constantly to prevent burning flour. Gradually stir in tomato sauce, water, cumin, garlic powder, onion salt, and dark chocolate into the oil, flour and chili powder until smooth, and continue cooking over medium heat approximately 10 minutes, or until thickened slightly. Season to taste with salt.


To prepare enchiladas:
Pour about ¼ c. of enchilada sauce in the bottom of a greased 9x13 pan to prevent tortillas from getting crunchy. Fill flour tortillas with cooked ground beef and onions, cheese, and a few tablespoons of enchilada sauce. Pour remaining enchilada sauce on top once pan is filled. Top with grated cheese, and salsa (if desired). Bake for 25-30 minutes, covered.

No comments:

Post a Comment