Tuesday, September 1, 2009

It's that time of year again!

Yes, it's jam season. The fruit is ripe and ready to be made into jam. My family and I went berry picking yesterday and came home with quite a haul of raspberries and blackberries.
Today I made blackberry jam. This is my personal favorite type of jam. Especially when it is made with the right recipe. I like to use Sure-Jell pectin. I use the recipe that is printed right inside the package. For blackberry and raspberry jam, it takes 1 package of fruit pectin, 5 cups of crushed berries, and 7 cups of sugar.
Bring the berries and pectin to a full rolling boil (the kind of boil that cannot be stirred down), then add the sugar all at once. Stir constantly and bring the mixture back to a rolling boil. Boil for one minute, then remove from heat.
Pour into jars and process.


No comments:

Post a Comment